Chatchai Market is one of the famous markets known by both Thai and foreign tourists. It is located on Petchkasem Road. This market is an old and renowned market built in 1926 during Rama VII’s reign as his wish on the first visit with Queen Rambai Barni to Klai Kangwon Palace. Prince Purachatra Jayakara, the Prince of Kamphaengphet is the foreman of the construction to dedicate to the King. The market was designed with 7 adjacent semi-circular roofs as a symbol to show that it was built during Rama VII’s reign and was all built with reinforced concrete.
The market is light and airy and was considered to be the most sanitary market in Thailand at that time. It was renovated many times; however, the featured 7 roofs have always remained there as the symbol. The market currently sells souvenirs as well as fresh and dried food. Moreover, the south entrance (Soi 72) which is a small street full of shops with delicious foods on both sideways, such as popular Thai foods, Thai desserts, and noodles. You can easily choose what to buy from there. There is also a selection of more exotic food that is popular among both Thai and foreign tourists, for example, dried squid, sun-dried squid egg, crispy squid, dried fish, dried shrimp, and herbs.
Chitchai Market is located in the centre of Hua Hin on Petchkasem Road, between Soi Hua Hin 70 and 72 or it is accessible by using the entrance via Sa Song Road. The market opens daily from 5.00 to about 15.00-16.00.